As much as I love reading, every now and then I get in a reading slump where I am tearing through books slowly. The cause varies. Sometimes it’s due to life circumstances or the fact that I am reading a slower paced book that makes me uninterested to pick it up.
Whatever the case may be, let me tell you that there is no better feeling than overcoming a reading slump. Usually for me, it’s being able to get into a really good book. So, here are some books that help me overcome a reading slump:
4. How to Walk Away and Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center: Over the past year, I have been going through Katherine Center’s backlog after she was my July 2019 Book of the Month. I love her books because they are so heartfelt and you become absorbed in the story. How to Walk Away talks about a woman who gets in a plane crash and can never walk again. She loses everything — from her new job to her fiancée. Yet, she finds a new life and love. Things You Save In A Fire is about a firefighter named Cass who has to move halfway across the country to take care of her sick mom in wake of a scandal. She is the only woman in the firestation and soon begins to prove herself — along with the alliance of the Rookie by her side. Both books were devoured by me.
5. The Wives by Taryn Fisher: This was also a Book of the Month pick for me, and let me tell you I was hooked from page one. The book is about a woman whose husband has more than one wife and believes that he’s dangerous. One day, she decides to confront one of the wives — to the point of stalking. The story has a ton of twists and turns, and as I said from page one, this book sucks you in until you finished it. I highly recommend this if you are looking for a quick plane read.
6. Anything by Taylor Jenkins Reid: Taylor Jenkins Reid is the author of the bestselling Daisy Jones and the Six, which is similar to a Fleetwood Mac tell all. However, all of her books are just excellent. I’ve only read three — Daisy Jones and the Six, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, and After I Do. And, I could not put any of them down. I have yet to work through her backlog, but I know that they are going to be amazing when I do get to them.
Hopefully reading some of these books will pull you out of the reading slump. What are some books that pull you out of a reading slump?
- Heartstopper Vol. 1-3 by Alice Osman: This graphic novel tells the love story of Nick and Charlie. Charlie and Nick start out as being just friends. Soon, the two begin to fall for each other. Throughout the volumes, Nick deals more about his sexuality, Charlie opens up to Nick and so many other adorable side stories. This is the type of book that will devoured in one sitting.
- Anything by Colleen Hoover: I love Colleen Hoover’s books because they always keep you in suspense and they have twists and turns. I love it! I’ve only read a few of her books to be honest, and I am obsessed with them. Gradually, I’m getting through her backlog, but if you love suspense, drama and romance, these are the books for you.
- After by Anna Todd: I binge read this series in January, and I pretty much read all four in about a three week time period because I couldn’t put these books down. The series talks about the unhealthy relationship between Hardin and Tessa. And, fun fact it’s a fan fiction of One Direction. I guarente that if you were to pick up this series, you are going to fly through these.